Tuesday, October 2, 2007

New York City Trip

Andy and I had a wonderful time in NYC. ORNL sent him to a design conference which he seemed to enjoy. I took Riley to Kingsport a few days before we flew out from Knoxville for our trip. It was really hard leaving Riley since I had never left him that long, but I knew he was in good hands.




Sunday Sept 23

Andy and I left for NYC on a 6:50 am flight...boy, was that early!!! It seemed like in no time we were landing at Laguardia. We caught a cab and headed to our hotel in Times Square. We dropped off our luggage and headed for Norma's, where we had a wonderful breakfast. We waited an hour and a half to get in...that's when I learned to call and make reservations. After stuffing ourselves silly, we decided to get some exercise by walking up to Central Park. I think everyone in NYC was in Central Park. It was such a beautiful day. Once we tired ourselves out from all the walking, we just plopped down on a huge rock and watched the people go by.







After Central Park, we walked down 5th ave. It was interesting seeing all of the architecture in the city. Then we headed back to the hotel. Andy had to get ready for an awards' banquet that evening. While he attended that, I went to some shops around Times Square and grabbed me a bite to eat.






Monday Sept 24

Andy headed off to his design classes bright and early while I decided to go to Macy's. I think there are eleven floors to Macy's!!! I can't believe I spent almost four hours in there!!! I was so tired but I managed to stop at a few more stores before heading back to the hotel. Once at the hotel, I took a wonderful nap. I think I had forgotten how nice it is to take a nap. That evening, Andy and I went to eat at a place called Becco on Restaurant Row. That was the best Italian meal that I have ever had...delicious. After that wonderful meal, we walked to the Empire State Building and spent some time on the observation deck. What a beautiful view of the city!








Tuesday Sept 25

Once again, Andy was off to his conference while I headed back out to explore. I visited FAO Swartz, which is a fun toy store. I spent way too much time in here. I stopped at several more stores before I decided to go back to the hotel and take it easy. While I wanted to do tons of things in NYC, I also wanted to take it easy. That evening, we met up with Matt & Megan Jaskoski, who live in the East Village.






They took us on our first subway ride. We headed down to Little Italy where we came upon Lombardi's...the best pizza place ever. They use a coal oven to make their pizzas and they also declare themselves the oldest pizza place. Next we headed to the Brooklyn Bridge. How breath taking!





We also saw ground zero. This site gave me such an empty feeling. I can't imagine being in NYC when this happened. What a tragedy.

Wednesday Sept 26

Andy's conference ended around lunchtime, so we headed to Stage Deli. Yummy! We had wonderful sandwiches and delicious cheesecake. Next we went to pick up tickets for the Late Show with David Letterman! Two weeks before the trip, I signed up online to try for tickets to the show. I received a call two days before we headed up to NYC. I had to answer a trivia question in order to win the tickets. The question was: "Alan Kalter, who is the announcer of the show, what color is his hair?" What an easy question!!! Of course it is red.

Once we picked up our tickets, we were told to be back at the Ed Sullivan Theater by 3:15. Once we got inside, we were told that we would be in the very front of the theater!!! Andy and I were on the front row. I will post a video clip that shows us on the show once I get a chance.

It was very exciting. Dave is so hilarious. Jennifer Garner was the main guest. It's definitely an experience I won't forget!


That evening, we just walked around the city and ended up eating at Frankie & Johnny's Steak House. Once again, excellent food.



Thursday Sept 27

This was our last day in NYC. We started the day by heading over to Rockefeller Center. We stood outside of the Today Show where we saw Meredith, Matt, Al, and Ann. Andy and I were once again on tv, so I will post the clip when I can.


We got some coffee at Dean & DeLuca's...wonderful!


We spent some time at Grand Central Station before heading up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We were totally exhausted by the end of the day!!! What a fun trip we had!


The best part of it all was seeing Riley...we sure did miss him!